Week 4 Discussion: Karma and Indifferences.

Prior to last week's topic that we talked about, it was logic. Well, for me, it was quite hard to understand and it is what I don't really get about. To be frank, I have no logic, which meant, my common sense is not as good as normal people. Laugh at me all you want but I am proud that I have less logic in my mind. I don't think things to deeply. So yeah. I am logic-less. Hahahahahahahaha..

Well, we went to the class yesterday and it was kind of what I'm quite interested in. Karma and indifferences. For me, it is what I'm really used to and what I knew since I was a little boy. Depend on what people thinks, karma is different. Some might perceive something and some might do others. Karma for me, is that what we did now, we will get it back later either in a few year or in your later life. So what do you think? Some people do not believe in karma but some will. Mostly for the Buddhist and the Hindus, they think very importantly on karma. Every little thing you do will affect what you are in past life.

Some other religion might think put it in different words, but it is all the same. Don't you think so? Yeah. Thanks to my classmate who spoke that idea out. He says that, Every religion we are, it is all interrelated, just the names and how we teach to our children and our newer generations are different. So don't you guys agree on him? I think it was Salleh who said this. So yeah. Thanks bro.

Yesterday's presentation was done by Aminath. She talks on First, Karma, Morality and Evil and Second, Indifferences and Negative Ethics.


Here's a picture of what I found on Google. It reads Keep Calm and Let Karma Finish it. I wanted to find the official symbol of karma but somehow there aren't any logo about karma. The most related one is that the recycling logo with the word karma on it. If anyone found something, please post it up here so that the world can know. At least I can know. I don't know anything, to be honest. >.<

So for a brief definition, karma is that when you did some action that is violating and wrong to people, it will affect you in the future time. Basically, what goes around comes around. So like I've stated above, karma is mostly believed in Buddhist or Hindus. So the teachings, or what we called, Karma Doctrine, is that, there are 3 things. It is Morally Vacuous, It involves in irresolvable dilemma and Blaming victims for their own afflictions.

Before we proceed, what is the meaning or moral Vacuous? Moral vacuous is that people who lacks of intelligence in what we call morality. What is the relationship between Moral Vacuous and Karma? Some people who did not have the intelligence of something, they will act in a way so that people will 'think' that they have it. It is the same case here. For a positive implication of moral vacuous, people that believes in karma gives them the idea to behave virtuously. It also mean that person will blame karma for the misfortune that one gets. For example, I am a person with minimal morality knowledge and somehow my friend got into trouble and what I will tell him is that karma. He deserve to receive what he got. Well, somehow I think that only the older generation people will think that way, like those people who got minimal education will think that way.

Next, it involves in irresolvable dilemma, and in other words, Karmic Dilemma. Here is the example, When a executioner delivers a lethal injection, Will the executioner face bad karma for performing the act? So here is the discussion about. Will the executioner gets the karma? For me, I think he will somehow. There is a choice for him whether to work there or not. It is his chance whether where he wants to work. So IF he choose to work there, he will get what he deserved. During the discussion on class that day, we said that he might have been appointed to do so. That might be true but back to the question. Why does he choose to work there? He can choose to work at a firm or being a taxi driver. So the whole class conclude that it is a cycle, a chain for a human life. When we kill someone, their family members would want to kill me, and if they succeeded, my family members will kill them. So this is how war forms.

Thirdly, It is the blaming of the victims. Well, let me put it this way. Malaysia had terrible flood even until today. The flood started since after Christmas. At first it got worse but somehow the water managed to flow back to the sea. Here's the question. Did they deserve to got these kind of treatment? Like karma. Did everyone of them who caught in the flood did bad things till they got the flood and all other types of sickness? I don't think so. What I think of is that the 'people' up there would like to punish certain people who did great sin till they decided to flood the whole thing. That is what I thought. Was it karma? I think it is for some of them and not all. IF they were caught in karma, and they really did bad things, that means they deserve it. If some of them managed to be rescued and be healthy after that, they might not have done really good things but they did not do bad things as well. So that is all about karma.

For what I think, Karma, it teaches me that what I do will reflect back on me. If I kill a chicken, in the next life, I will be the chicken and I will be slaughtered for my meat or something. So being a human, I believe that what I did in the past life which so I deserve to be who I am now. I have a wonderful family and I have so many great friends out there. I am blessed to have all these. I have to thank my past life for doing so much good deeds till I get what I got today. Well, I know I sound like a monk in the 14 century but I still feel this way.

On the second half of the day, we talk about Indifferences and Negative Ethics. So when we talk about indifferences, we can relate to the Taoism. They are those people who thinks that it is important to live in harmony with Tao, where in Chinese, 道. I can't explain verbally more to this. But there is a phrase to explain to this. Everything happens for a reason. Good things that happened might turn out bad and bad things happened might turn out to be good. Try and think of it. Sometimes we ourselves will have this occurred. For instance, I got a watermelon by the roadside and think that I could eat it at home. That is a good thing right? But when I slice it open and wanted to eat it, the watermelon is full of worms. I know this example is gross but somehow, it is a great example of thinking what is discussed so far.

Back to the Tao. Here is a scenario. When a child falls into the river, a Dao priest saw it and he save him up from the river. So when we are saving the child from the river, we will think that it is a good deed to do. But for the priest, he won't think this way. He will only think that it is natural to do so. So from my understanding, indifferences is that how we think differently than other people. The whole Taoist Community think this way, where they only act naturally where their instinct tells them to. Well, so think about this. If the whole world does this, will the world we have now change to be a better place, or a worse place? For what I think, It will be a worse one. For everyone to think indifferently, thinking to do what is natural to them, is not right. When people want to kill, they kill without any consequences. So i think it is not a good thing to do.

We as humans, born after many generations of civilization and teaching. We have our own set of norms and rules. We are following those rules that were made years ago. We were taught how to act now. So It is quite hard for me to feel how the people who thinks indifferently thinks. Everyday we learn new things and we will have to think about new things. But will these things affect what had been taught since we were little? No. We will follow to what we were taught.

As a summary, I think that all human lives through karmic life. We will know what to do and what not to do. Everyday when we did something, will you think back on what you have done? Like when you prank your friend. Will you think that one day you will be prank as well? Yeah. This week's topic is quite easy for some ways. For the next presentation, it will be a new one. We will be talking about books and literature.

So long for now.

Cheerios,
YiXin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Anytime, Anywhere. By YiXin Blog Design by Ipietoon