Story of My Life

It may be odd when I am writing an educational article and the title is "Story Of My Life". Although I am not that old yet, but I've learned a lot ever since I've been in school. I have been studying my entire life, as I can say. Well, what I meant of studying is that going to school, universities, learning from my teachers. But. as I grew up, during the different stages of my life, I've learned different things that could be very useful to my future. Here, I will share to you guys.

When I was in primary school, I learned that I have to be disciplined. Asian style of teaching was very different from the European Style. Well, at least my time was very different. I started my primary school when I was 7 years old, which is the year of 2002. My teachers. We were taught to be a good kid using a cane. The teachers will hit us on the palm when we did not do our homework, or did not bring our homework to school. The teachers' assumptions of why we did not bring the homework is that we have not completed it. So they would punish us using the cane. It has been that way from Primary 1 up till Primary 6.

Because of this cane, I was taught to be disciplined in my work. If I missed a homework, they will hit me. So to avoid being hit, I will complete my homework in time. I will remember to bring all my stuff to school and I will not disobey the teachers. This, had a positive effect and a negative effect. The positive effect of this kind of teaching method is that I do my work on time, efficiently and at least finishing up everything on the guidelines that was given. A lot of people nowadays do not have this sense of responsibility. They will try, finding a way to escape what they are suppose to do. Being a human, we have to be responsible to what we promised to other people. When the lecturers gave us an assignment, it is a trust that the lecturer gave us, for us to complete the assignment. The negative thing about this kind of teaching style is that I became very dependent. I will have to rely on people to tell me what to do. This actually stops people from generating ideas from their brilliant minds.

So, when I got to the secondary level, which is in the year of 2008, when I was at the age of 13, we were required by the schools to join activities. Co-curricular activities. I joined quite a few actually. Wushu Club, Monitorial Club, and Choir Club. Joining all these clubs, it gave me an opportunity to know what I was capable of and what I am good at. I was positioned as a few posts, the Maintenance Manager, Treasurer, and Secretary. These experiences gave me the knowledge on how to do things. I actually learned a lot during the times when I was in all these posts. Being the Maintenance Manager, is is like being a logistic manager. I have to keep track of the things and more. Being the treasure, I learned to manage a large sum of money, what are the steps when I go to the bank, where should I report to and how to write a monthly financial report. Being the secretary, I learned to write decently on formal stuff, academic writing, and more.

Till today, I was really thankful for the things I've learned during my secondary school life. I am a mass communication students and I gave myself the impression that I need to know a lot of things. I have to organize event and know how to run an event. I learned how to write properly, manage money and arrange on the logistic stuff. Without all the experiences that I gained from secondary, I would have suffered a lot.

Not only of that, during my secondary school life, I've learned not to trust anyone too easily. In the mid of my 5 years in secondary school, a lot had happened. It made me to who I am, not to trust anyone too easily. It was quite a long story but at the end, I felt like I was being boycott and my so called trusted friends lied to me. I was very disappointed in them. Using this experience, it reflects to me that living in this world, we have to be trustworthy to people. When they told you something or pass you something to do, it is that they are trusting you to complete what they have just requested. If you did not do, it breaks the trust and they will not find you again. Relating this back to the life, when you break a trust with someone, it is a very serious offense.

In my university life, from the year of 2013 till now, I learned to be more independent in life. I left my parents to study once I've been into uni. They let me grow on my own as a person. Being responsible for my own life. This, I have to be very independent. I have to learn how to do the household chores, how to cook and all those stuff. Being independent is a very important aspect in our life. Think of this. If one day our parents passed away, who is left to take care of us. So we have to start from little to be independent.

So that is the story of my life. What's yours? Tell me and share with me on what you've learned throughout your life.

Cheerios,
YiXin Ching
[chingyixin1@gmail.com]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Anytime, Anywhere. By YiXin Blog Design by Ipietoon